We specialize in sustainability communications, working with a variety of business, nonprofit, foundation and government clients. From air pollution and alternative transportation to protecting our natural resources and communicating climate change, we have the strategies and experience that you need.
Get to know Kate Lilja Lohnes and Claire Lukens, our team members who specialize in sustainability communications.
Lilja Communications is a small business that is committed to taking steps to reduce its impact on the environment. The policy steps outlined below are simply the beginning of our internal efforts to enhance corporate sustainability.
Our goals are to:
- Integrate sustainability into all of our business decisions.
- Minimize the impact of our office and transportation activities.
- Ensure that everyone on the Lilja team knows and understands our Sustainability Policy, and that they are committed to implementing and improving it.
- Encourage our clients and the broader community to consider implementing sustainability practices in their daily lives.
- Review and continually strive to improve our sustainability performance.
- Use 100% post-consumer recycled paper products whenever possible.
- Purchase only environmentally friendly products for office use, including soaps, candles, dish detergent and lotions that are free of phthalates, parabens, harsh detergents and synthetic fragrances.
- Order new supplies only as needed; reuse supplies over buying new when possible.
- Utilize durable kitchen supplies, including plates, cups and utensils.
- Power down computers and turn off all lights at the end of the workday.
- Unplug devices once fully charged; remove plug from outlet when not in use.
- Turn on lights only when necessary. We will make the most of natural light whenever we can!
- Run the dishwasher only when full of dirty dishes (and not just every night).
- Replace light bulbs with high efficiency LEDs, when possible.
- Use rechargeable batteries in all battery-powered devices (computer mice, TV remotes); recharge batteries onsite.
Waste & Recycling
- Ensure employees understand how to fully utilize office recycling bins.
- Explore the feasibility of on-site composting service through Hennepin County.
- Print only when necessary, utilizing double-sided printing at all times.
- Properly dispose of office supplies and materials when they reach their end of life (whether it is recycling or dropping off at a designated site).
- Participate in weekly Meatless Mondays
- Minimize out-of-office meetings that require travel by vehicle.
- Carpool to lunches, when applicable, or “group order” to reduce vehicle trips.
- Create space within the office for bike storage, as needed. Employees who bike to work are encouraged to dress casually as an incentive.
- Lilja Communications hosts an annual staff Earth Day cleanup in the natural area surrounding our office. Trash and other items are collected and recycled, as applicable.
- Explore local engagement opportunities, including serving on citizen sustainability commissions and donating professional services through select nonprofit pro bono work.
- Encourage mental, emotional and physical well-being for all employees through practices during the workday like taking walks outside, signing off during lunch breaks, leaving work at the office, group chats during the day, etc.